Saturday, March 7, 2009

Canadian Cell Phone Provider Reviews

Hi All,

Here is a quick review of the Canadian Mobile Service Providers.

There are 3 companies who own and operate all of the networks in Canada.

These companies are:

Rogers Wireless: a division of the much larger Rogers Empire that own and operate cable TV service, TV stations, radio stations, and magazines

Bell Mobility: This is a division of Bell Canada, and is owned by Bell Canada Enterprises. Bell Canada Enterprises owns the CTV television network as well as most of the landline systems in Ontario and Quebec.

Telus Mobility: who is a conglomerate of western telephone and technology companies.

There are 4 types of networks:

1) A GSM system owned by Rogers

2) CDMA system owned by Bell Mobility

3) CDMA system owned by Telus Mobility

4) iDEN system (like Nextel) also owned by Telus Mobility.

There are numerous virtual network providers. The largest of these virtual providers are:

Fido: Owned by Rogers, and was once a distinct GSM network. The Fido network no longer exists, but Fido lives on as a defacto virtual operator that LOOKS LIKE a full network, just like they were before they were bought.

Virgin Mobile: The same company as in the US, but not totally owned by billionaire Richard Branson. They are in part owned by Bell Mobility and operates on the CDMA network.

President’s Choice: Which is owned by the very large food store chain called Loblaw’s. They use the President’s Choice name (most of them food items, but they also offer financial services and insurance under that name as well), and have extend the name to pre-paid wireless, which operates on the Bell Mobility CDMA network. This is a fast growing alternative in pre-paid cellular service.

*All Canadian cellular service providers are subject to federal tax (GST) and provincial tax (PST). The federal government also mandates a .50 cent service charge for 911 services.

All Canadian Service Providers that charge you a monthly services fee, also charge you a “System Access Fee”. This has absolutely nothing to do with “system access”, and is nothing more than a means of generating additional revenue *(I will follow-up with a later blog on this topic).

Currently Bell Mobility charges $8.95 per month, Rogers Charges $6.95 per month, as well as Telus at $6.95 per month. Prepaid Services do not charge this fee, but are subject to federal and provincial tax, and 911 fee.

Canadian Service Providers do prefer 3-year contracts, but these contracts are not mandatory. Customers have the choice of month-to-month (no contract) or shorter contracts of 1 or 2 years. Contracts rarely affect the monthly cost of whatever plan you choose, but instead they offer a varying degree of discount on the price of a new phone. The advantage of a 3yr contract is that of the discount given towards the Hardware purchased.

In-depth discussions on Canadian Service Providers can be found on Howard Forums; with discussions about whether or not Canadian prices are higher or lower than those of the US (I will post a future blog on this comparison). Canadian providers seem to offer better value for low-end users on prepaid and monthly plans, while US providers offer better deals to heavy users and data access.

Canadian Service Providers do honour grandfathered plans indefinitely. As long as subscribers stick with whatever price plan they started with, and don’t change it. Telus Mobility have plans dating back almost 10 years that include per-second billing that is no longer offered on current plans. An example of that would be “Telus Talk Halifax”, which allows unlimited calling within the Halifax Nova Scotia area, and often sell in $500-$1000 range as the plan is transferable.

Wireless number portability is also available, and is a nice option when obtaining Service Providers.

In closing, the 3 main Service Providers here in Canada offer a wide gamut of options, and will compete fiercely for your business. Shop around before deciding on a Service Provider. Determine what your needs and wants are, and what you are prepared to settle for. Ask questions, especially to those who are already dealing with these Service Providers to see if they have had any issues or concerns with them. I personally prefer Rogers, as I like the portability of having a SIM Card. I often change phones, and doing so with the other Providers requires a call to them in order to change phones, but in return have an inferior data package. There are trade offs for everything.

So look, touch, try and most of all enjoy the variety that Canadian Mobile Service Providers have to offer.

Cheers for now,

Dokken2007

4 comments:

  1. For posts like this you should add a polling system and get people "rate" their providers. Would be useful data for those shopping around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Northwestern Ontario Bell Wireless Customers Get Screwed

    Today I received a letter from Bell: Important information regarding your Bell Mobility wireless service. The letter reads:
    Dear Darlene,
    We want to inform you about a change that may impact your Bell Mobility wireless service.
    Our roaming partner in Northwestern Ontario has advised us that they will be decommissioning their network and, as a result, we will no longer be able to provide extended wireless coverage in Northwestern Ontario as of December 15, 2012.
    They go onto apologize and give me a number to call for additional information.
    I called the number and was shuffled through 4 service representatives. None of the representatives knew anything about this letter or the decommissioning. Each one went through the process of putting me on hold for several minutes while they confirmed the letter and if it I would be impacted.
    I have an Android cell phone with all the bells and whistles as well as a mobile internet stick. I was told, yes, my coverage would be impacted. On December 15th 2012 I would not have coverage. I was advised I could cancel my coverage and was transferred to that department. After once again going through explaining and on hold I was advised I would need to change a setting on my phone. It would enable my phone to continue to work however I would not have hi speed internet. I could cancel at any time, today, next week or Dec 15th but I would be charged $380.00 cancellation for the cell phone plan and $100.00 for the mobile internet stick. I ended the call expecting a call back from a Supervisor…I’m still waiting!
    Within ½ hours I received a call to complete a customer service questionnaire. It’s not surprising the rating was UNSATISFACTORY. At the end I was asked if I wanted to speak to an agent to resolve the issue. Surely I was mistaken and just didn’t understand.
    Here goes again – I was transferred to 3 agents – all who knew nothing about this issue. The last service representative was very good but in the end this was the solution I was offered.
    I could transfer my coverage over the Northern Tel and there would be no charge.
    Or
    I could cancel and I would be charged the $480.00 cancellation fee!
    If I do nothing my cell phone and mobile internet will not be hi-speed but I will continue to be charged for the plans until the expiration of the contract.
    I asked if I transferred to Northern Tel would the terms of my contract also transfer. (I have just over a year left of a 3 year contract.) Would my rates and plan be the same. The agent was very hesitant to answer but finally advised that Bell could not guarantee that.

    I can’t believe Bell expects their customers to bear the expense of this service change. If I don’t transfer over to Northern Tel I’ll have to continue to pay Bell and get another cell phone and internet hi-speed provider!

    Outraged in Northwestern Ontario,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the information! I just moved to Canada and have been looking for a mobile provider so this really helped out. I have a friend that got his phone from the Woodbine Centre Bell store and he absolutely loved it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving information.
    It's very useful guide for beginners.
    I followed your Article and chose fido plan.
    But i have orange locked Blackberry mobile phone.So i needed to unlock my phone to put fido service.So i searched through Google.Finally i got an unlocking service from UnBBlock.com I never had any problem.Now i really enjoy with my new fido service.

    ReplyDelete